Great Basin Federal Credit Union awards a scholarship each academic year. This year, there is up to $5,000 available in scholarships.
Selection is based on the applicant’s involvement in community service, leadership activities and academic achievement. These scholarships are open to all members.
Be sure to check out our affordable Student Loans, too!
Great Basin FCU is proud to have offered scholarships to the following recipients:
Elianah took a gap year to travel to Guatemala for a six-month internship with Athentikos, an organization dedicated to restoring holistic well-being through creative arts. She is fluent in both Spanish and German, graduated from Galena High School and plans to attend Whitworth University in Spokane, WA.
Victoria is a Cellular and Molecular Biology Major at the University of Nevada, Reno. She currently serves as the Vice President of Hospital Relations for UNR’s NevadaTHON Chapter. Victoria was also a Student Volunteer at Renown Regional and Northern Nevada Medical Centers and raised over $700 for the Northern Nevada Children’s Cancer Foundation.
Haley is a graduating senior at the Academy of Arts, Careers, and Technology and serves as Co-President for the Interact Club and President of her school’s local Future Health Professionals (HOSA) chapter. She plans to attend the University of Nevada, Reno to study Chemistry.
Meg is pursuing her masters degree of Public Health at the University of Reno, Nevada. Meg moved to Reno after falling in love with the area after volunteering with AmeriCorps.
Sherman is studying Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno. Sherman is an active leader in the community, including being a part of the Musical Therapy Club.
Thomas is studying Pre-Dentistry and Finance at the University of Utah. Thomas is passionate about bettering the community by tutoring and mentoring elementary school students.
Kasey La Foon
Kasey is perusing her Masters in Social Work at the University of Nevada, Reno. Kasey has an extended background of volunteer work as a Victim Advocate.
Ashlynne is studying Political Science and Spanish at the University of Nevada, Reno. Ashlynne had a passion for spreading awareness and assisting with the combat of the homelessness issue in Reno and Sparks.
Nathan is working toward a Bachelor of Science in Biology at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is passionate about the community and has volunteered to help with the beautification of Downtown Reno through art.
Sequoia is pursuing a degree in Psychology from Humboldt State University. She played multiple sports, participated in various clubs and committees, and maintained an exemplary GPA. She founded and hosted a local food drive in Loyalton raising almost 1,000 cans of food.
Megan is pursuing her second degree in Research Psychology from the University of Nevada. She has found a passion for helping people and has dedicated her career and life to community service. She would like to become a licensed Family Counselor for the Children’s Cabinet.
Jordan is pursuing a degree in biochemistry from Case Western Reserve University. She played multiple sports, was president of several clubs, and maintained an outstanding GPA. She founded a Rotary Interact Club which helps raise funds and supplies for local non-profits.
- Currently attending Reed High School and will graduate in June 2016
- Plans to attend the University of Nevada to study political science
- With a 5.325 weighted GPA in an impressive course load, he managed to rank #1 in his class
- He participates in many clubs, varsity tennis, and multiple community service projects including giving over 100 hours to Northern Nevada Children’s Cancer Foundation
- Currently attending Galena High School and will graduate in June 2016
- Plans to attend the University of Nevada to study economic and actuarial science
- In addition to maintaining a 4.2 weighted GPA in an impressive course load and juggling various part-time jobs, Kyle also completed over 20 hours per month of volunteerism over the last year
- He participates continually in community service including Student Advisory Board President, student member of the Washoe County Board of Trustees, and Youth City Council
- Currently attending Birthwise Midwifery School and will graduate in 2016
- She participates in various community service groups, especially with Truckee Meadows Birth Network and Birth Trauma Support Group
- Currently pursuing a master’s degree in biology at Colorado State University
- She participates continually in a wide range of community service projects including a focus on the health of senior citizens
- Currently attending Galena High School and will graduate in June 2013
- Plans to attend the University of Nevada and earn a major in biochemistry and molecular biology
- In addition to maintaining a perfect GPA in an impressive course load and holding a part-time job, Ryan has also been involved in many extra curricular activities and important internships with a local pediatrician and Renown Hospital.
- He participates continually in community service helping with Christmas for homeless children, mentoring through Reno PD, tutoring at his high school, and tutoring at Echo Loder Elementary.
- Currently attending Carrington College in Reno, NV
- Set to graduate with her undergraduate degree in nursing in 2014
- Leah maintains impressive grades while working full-time and part-time caregiving jobs.
- She continually volunteers with the United Blood Services and is involved with local fundraisers and donation centers.
- Graduated Reno High School in June 2011
- Plans to attend Scripps College and work towards her undergraduate degree in Genetics and Biology.
- She is the founding member of the National Charity League, a mother/daughter organization that works in the local community providing help to various charities and non-profits that need assistance from volunteers. She gives over 50 hours per year to this organization.
- She has volunteered her time as a tutor in history and biology.
- She is currently volunteering on a project to raise money for earthquake relief efforts in Japan.
- Justin is currently a student at University of Nevada, Reno, set to receive his undergraduate degree in Biochemistry in 2013.
- He volunteers anywhere from 6 to 40 hours a week as a wrestling coach at both Reno High School and Swope Middle School.
- He is the president and founder of Reno Saints, a local non-profit organization created solely to aide other non-profit groups and promote student activism on campus and in our community.
- Current student at the University of Nevada, Reno, set to receive her undergraduate degree in Environmental Science and Spanish in December 2011.
- Miss Calhoun maintained outstanding grades and has an impressive history of volunteerism.
- Sarah was an after school program volunteer at Rita Cannon Elementary School.
- She is a Student Ambassador for the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources.
- As a member of La Esperanza Granada, a group that focuses on basic children’s education in the country of Nicaragua, Sarah spent a month volunteering her time educating children in math, reading and writing – all in Spanish which she just learned months earlier!
- Graduated from North Valleys High School in June 2009, and will be attending the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Elena maintained an impressive GPA while also juggling a full course load of many honors classes.
- Elena was chosen to participate in the college preparatory program, Upward Bound, at the University of Nevada.
- As part of the Upward Bound program, Elena volunteered at and helped plan a carnival day for patients at the Reno Veteran’s Hospital.
- Elena’s volunteer activities also include Christmas tree recycling, food sorting at the Food Bank, park clean-up at Rancho San Rafael, assisting the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, and helping with Earth Day festivities.
- Graduated from Galena High School in 2008, and will be attending the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Anna maintained an impressive GPA while also participating in numerous activities including National Honor Society, Future Educators of America, and peer tutoring.
- Anna is an accomplished classical pianist and created a community program for disadvantaged children who cannot afford music lessons. Anna not only developed and is the leader for this organization, but she also dedicates many hours of service to teaching new students.
- Graduated from Spanish Springs High School in 2007, and will be attending the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Jared was involved in many school activities including Honor Society, Student Government, Football, Track, Theatre, and Band.
- Jared was chosen to participate in the prestigious National Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C.
- Jared tutored 2nd graders every week and helped the next generation improve their reading skills and develop higher self-confidence.
- Graduated from McQueen High School, and will be studying Business at T.M.C.C
- Bonnie was involved in many school activities such as Marching Band, special education tutoring program, and organized a coat drive for local elementary children.
- Bonnie’s dedication to community service really shines with her involvement with the March of Dimes, St. Mary’s Regional Center Breast Cancer Awareness and the Make a Wish foundation.
- UNR Biology major Plans to begin UNR Master’s Program ’05
Maintains 3.883 GPA
- School & Community Involvement: Student Government, Vice President of school’s National Honor
- Society, Lead Captain of Dance Team, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for Breast Cancer Walk volunteer, School Blood Drive Organizer, Multiple Sclerosis Society volunteer, Ronald McDonald House volunteer
- UNR elementary education major
Plans to begin UNR Master’s Program ’05
- Maintains 3.58 GPA
- Community Involvement: Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful, Food for Families, Big Brothers Big Sisters Planning Committee, and volunteers as a “Big Sister” 3 to 4 hours each week.
- UNR education major
- 4 semesters on UNR Dean’s List
- Member: Pi Lambda Theta International Honor Society, Professional Association in Education, Golden Key International Honor Society
- Community Involvement: Mentors a child at Big Brothers Big Sisters 3-4 hours per week.