Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, Great Basin Federal Credit Union has some suggestions to ensure your trip is free of money worries.
- Sign up for Online Banking and/or download the GBMobile app so you will have access to your accounts from anywhere.
- Pay your bills before you go. Many times you can even schedule payments in advance – especially if you use Online Bill Pay. You won’t have to worry while you’re away, and you won’t have to play catch up when you get home.
- Make copies of your important documents in case of emergencies. 2 copies of your passport, credit cards, and other travel documents are recommended – leave 1 with a relative or friend at home and bring the other copy with you.
- Write down the customer service numbers for the cards you’re bringing and keep them in a place separate from the cards.
- Put a hold on your mail if you’re going to be gone long enough for it to pile up.
- It’s always wise to have some cash on hand when you travel just in case you run into a snag with your other payment methods.
- Consider getting foreign currency before you leave so that you’ll have it ready for taxis and meals as soon as you arrive.
- There’s a chance you’ll need medical coverage while traveling, so it’s good to know what your insurance will and won’t cover where you’re going.
- Great Basin recommends you contact us to place a Visa Travel Notice any time you plan to travel outside your normal spending area. Then, we can notify you of any current blocks in high-fraud areas of the country or abroad. It’ll also help us from misinterpreting your travel related charges as fraudulent.
- Bring at least 2 cards on your trip, in case one gets lost or stolen.
- Many travelers bring a credit card or gift card so that if fraud is committed on that card, it will not affect their checking account.
- Pre-Paid Visa Gift Cards can be purchased at any Great Basin location and are a good option as a back-up in case your cards are lost or not working. Some people also use them in place of their cards to prevent fraud on their account. Note that there are fees and they cannot be used outside of the U.S.
- Some cards come with a complimentary Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, so consider using your credit card when paying for covered purchases.
- Before using your card as payment for a hotel or car rental reservation, we recommend you ask whether they put a hold or freeze on card funds. Some hotels and car rental companies hold or freeze funds for up to 10 days, which could result in a much lower available balance in your account.
- Visa’s zero liability policy will protect you in case of a lost card or fraudulent
- When using your card in another country, you may be subject to fees such as a foreign conversion fee (usually 2%), service fees, or ATM surcharge fees.
Great Basin Federal Credit Union: Toll-Free 1-800-545-4228 or Local 775-333-4228
Visa Lost or Stolen Hotline from within U.S.: (888) 241-2510
Visa Lost or Stolen Hotline from outside U.S.: (909) 941-1398