Planning to buy a savings bond?
Paper savings bonds will no longer be sold at financial institutions after December 31, 2011. But they’re not going away – electronic savings bonds can be purchased online through TreasuryDirect.
Learn more at www.treasurydirect.gov
Open a free TreasuryDirect account today!
With TreasuryDirect, you can safely and securely:
- Buy, manage and redeem* electronic savings bonds
- Convert paper savings bonds to electronic
- Purchase electronic savings bonds as gifts
- Purchase other Treasury securities, including bills, notes, bonds and TIPS (Treasury Inflation- Protected Securities)
Stop worrying about misplacing or storing paper savings bonds, and start managing your savings online, anytime, through TreasuryDirect.
*Savings Bonds can be redeemed after 1 year or longer.
Existing paper bonds are still valid and will earn interest for 30 years from the issue date or until redeemed. You can continue to cash savings bonds here.
To redeem a Series I, Series E, or Series EE Savings Bond, the following information must be provided:
- Original savings bond
- Named owner or co-owner must be present with valid identification matching name
- Beneficiaries redeeming must provide certified copy of death certificate as well as valid identification matching beneficiary name
- If name doesn’t match must provide marriage certificate, divorce decree, or legal name change documentation to match current name
Savings Bond values can be verified by going here.